India has a massive jobs challenge.
As a young nation, India will have over 479 million 15-34 year olds by 2021, all looking for employment in a rapidly changing marketplace. We know that 59 million children leave the formal education system by Grade 10, leaving many ill-equipped to find work.
Youth unemployment is prevalent because young people lack skills, work experience, job search abilities, emotional and mentor support to find employment or to be self-employed. Young people, especially those from low income backgrounds are unable to take advantage of existing economic opportunities or to identify and create new ones which often leaves them in continued poverty. This is not because they do not have what it takes to succeed, but because of a lack of tailored support and opportunity for their needs. Arthan redresses this imbalance.
The more we spoke to young people, especially in rural areas, the more we realised that their choices for their careers were often not based on informed decisions. Instead they were a function of chance coupled with a lack of information and guidance.
Our mission is to provide the right knowledge, tools and resources for young people to make informed decisions about their future.
We believe in systematic change and work in partnerships with government, business, schools and civil society to deliver high quality affordable career planning and job readiness programmes to children and young people, so that they are best placed to realise their true potential.
Our goal is to impact 6.3 million young people and children by 2022
How we address this
- Career planning programmes for children studying in government schools
- Employability programmes like workplace english and sector specific job readiness
- We expect technology to act as an enabler and will be building India's first empathetic job portal to connect youth with economic opportunities
Systems Change & Leadership
- We believe collaboration is key in achieving systematic change and will work closely with government, business and civil society
- We are looking for dynamic leaders who believe in our mission and want to build a better world for children and young people in India